Supervises two to four direct reports, including; Buyers, Expediter, Material Scheduler. The role operates at a middle management level, and requires hands on management of and participation with the small procurement team.
Educational and Experience Requirements:
BA degree in a business related field or equivalent work experience in procurement and materials management.
Minimum five (5) years of experience in a heavy manufacturing or marine industry, with increasing responsibilities. Five (5) years in a supervisory or management position. The individuals must have experience in management of materials and procurement for large construction or fabrication projects. Recent experience in a vessel construction, overhaul, or conversion project preferred. Experience with increasing responsibility for procurement in construction, repair, or operations of commercial marine, USN, or USCG ships, or related industry desired.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written for constant interaction with all departments and employee levels and outside customers.
• Must have the analytical ability to research problem areas and special requests.
• Must possess excellent organizational and negotiation skills.
• Must be a well-organized, detail and customer (internal and external) oriented self-starter.
• Ability to exercise sounds judgment, work well independently, prioritize duties and follow through tasks to completion.
• Ability to handle competing priorities and deadlines effectively and respond well to last minute, high priority, time sensitive projects.
• Must be able to handle the pressure of constant interruptions.
• Ability to schedule, direct and organize work within a diverse department and coordinate work with other departments to maintain efficiency.
• Must possess the ability to facilitate group decision-making, team building and conflict resolution.
• Ability to use PC and software applications such as MS Office and database programs.
• Must be able to work in a software-intensive environment.
• Must have experience using Microsoft Windows, Advanced Excel and Word and database programs.
Required Soft Skills and Competencies:
This position coordinates his/her efforts with directors, managers, supervisors at several levels in the business unit, with extensive interactions outside this group. The position represents the Company through formal and informal interactions with multiple vendors and subcontractors.
Job Environments / Physical Demands:
Work is conducted in a dynamic, fast-paced office setting with moderate to loud noise levels from production activity in the shipyard. The individual may be required to be in production areas in yard and onboard ships. While in production areas, the individual will be exposed to all weather conditions, noise, dust and odors. He/she must be able to walk to and from job sites. The person must be able to climb inclined stairways and vertical ladders and lift up to 20 pounds. He/she may be required to work more than 8-hour shifts and weekend work. There may be local travel and out-of-town travel (including air travel) up to 10% of the time with notice. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If your employment history presents a gap that is three months or greater, explain the gap in your cover letter or resume. Qualified applicants providing the requested information will be given first preference.